Here are some tips and fun ways to help create a healthy family.
- Involve the kids! Kids love to help and they love to learn, so why not get them involved in helping to cook at home. Depending on their age, they could peel the carrots, chop up the beans, stir the bowl, whisk the eggs or help roll the meatballs. It’s a great way for them to learn about the foods they eat, where they come from and how good they are for their growing body!
- Grow your own vegie patch. It doesn’t have to be big, it could be a pot of tomatoes, a frame of climbing beans or some fresh herbs.
- Limit take away and processed foods.
- Eat meals together. It may only be breakfast or dinner, but it sets a great example for kids. It’s a good time to chat about the day, make plans and have quality family time.
- Experiment and try new foods and flavours. Herbs, spices, seasonings and new ingredients are all a great way to eat well and adding new flavours can keep the weekly menu from seeming boring or the same.
- Try a new recipe a week. It might be a new dinner meal, a smoothie, a healthy snack or treat.
- If your kids are older they might like to cook one night a week.
- Take a family outing to the local growers markets on the weekend.
- Make sure everyone is eating 2 serves of fruit and 5 serves of vegies each day.
- Involve everyone in the meal planning for the week. This will not only help save money but seasonal foods and healthy recipes can be chosen
Article written by Danielle Dive (APD)
The information and tips provided in this article are general recommendations. If you have specific health conditions or wish to discuss anything in more detail please make an appointment with APD Danielle Dive on 94533046.