During the colder months it’s easy to slip into bad habits and the weight can creep on. Here are some easy tips on How to Avoid Those Extra Kilos In Winter and maintain a healthy weight.
- Continue to exercise regularly
- Ensure you drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated
- Have an energy rich breakfast such as porridge to fill you up through the morning. Add nuts and
seeds, low fat yogurt, berries and other fruits or a drizzle of honey.
- Vegetables and grains are a great way to bulk up a meal and ensure you are filled with healthy
- During cold weather salads are the last thing we feel like, but warm salads are good choice.
Roast vegetables, lean marinated meats and low fat cheeses make for a yummy option. Add
them to spinach or rocket leaves with fresh tomatoes and cucumber for a great combination.
- When choosing or making casseroles add plenty of vegetables and legumes and use tomato
based sauces rather than creamy sauces.
- Rather than a side of chips choose vegetables and salads.
- Snack on fresh fruits, low fat yogurts, vegetable sticks, unsalted nuts and seeds, low fat dips and
roasted vege chips.
- Soups packed with vegetables and/or lean meats and grains like barley or quinoa with a
multigrain roll makes a good lunch or dinner option.
- Have comfort foods sparingly and only in moderation.
The information and tips provided in this article are general recommendations. If you have specifc
health conditions or concerns or wish to discuss anything in more detail please make an
appointment with APD Danielle Dive on 94533046.
Article written by Danielle Dive (Dietitian)