Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It not only gets your day started, but it kick starts your metabolism, provides energy to get you through the morning and aids in a healthier weight.
If you find having breakfast when you first wake up hard, try having a shower first or going for a walk. It’s better to delay breakfast than not having it at all. If you need to leave for work early, try to have breakfast when you get to work, otherwise by mid morning you’ll be starving and end up choosing a high fat, high sugar snack.
If you find don’t like the traditional cereal and toast, below are some suggestions that you can try! You can be as creative as you like while enjoying a healthy meal!
- Yogurt (low fat) with fruit
- Sourdough topped with avocado and tomato
- Toast with ricotta (reduced fat), drizzled honey and peaches
- Yogurt (low fat) topped with Bircher muesli
- Fruit skewers
- Puréed fruit mixed through yogurt (low fat)
- Raisin toast
- Eggs on toast
- Grilled tomato, cheese and avocado on toast
- Baked beans on toast
- Fruit salad
- Vegetable omelette
- Use monounsaturated or polyunsaturated spreads
- Fruit smoothie using low fat yogurt and milk. Be daring with flavours, try banana and strawberry, mango, peach, or mixed berries. Add some honey to sweeten and serve chilled with some ice.
Note – these are general breakfast suggestions. If you have a particular medical concern please feel free to book an appointment with dietitian Danielle Dive for individualized options)
Article written by Danielle Dive (APD)