In a recent article about Tips to Boost your Health, Joy, our acupuncturist suggested having a warm water drink mixed with lemon juice as a great way to start the day! Here are 5 benefits of lemon if you need some more convincing!
- Lemon aids your digestion and cleanses your digestive system from unwanted materials and toxins. Aids in detoxification by stimulating the liver function.
- Lemon increase the rate of urination in the body, therefore toxins from the urinary tracts are released.
- Lemon helps to boost you immune system. Lemons are high in vitamin C and Saponins which have antimicrobial and anti inflammatory effects.
- Lemon balances pH levels. Lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods for the body. It can help to remove overall acidity in the body, including uric acid in the joints, which is one of the primary causes of pain and inflammation
- Lemon clears your skin. The vitamin C component as well as other antioxidants helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes and it helps to combat free radical damage. The vitamin C contained in the lemon rejuvenates the skin from within your body.
Drink 200-400 ml of warm water (never drink ice cold water), mixed with juice of half a fresh lemon after getting up in the morning before eating. This will help kick-start the digestion process for the day.
Article written by Meirav Mellzar (Acupuncturist and Chinese Medicine Practitioner)